Many occasional travelers sabotage their relaxing vacations by making one simple mistake. They over-pack. These are the people you see looking miserable while pulling three giant suitcases through the airport, squishing them into taxi trunks and juggling bags through hotel lobbies. Do they look relaxed to you? The truth is, most people are much happier travelling with a lighter pack, even if that means not having sixteen outfit options to wear to the beach café. Follow these essential light-packing tips, to keep bags to a minimum and enhance vacation relaxation.
1. To maximize clothing, try to bundle outfits. For instance, plan at least three shirts that match each pair of pants. Choose no more than three pairs of shoes, one fancy, one casual and one athletic. Don’t bring any item unless it can be worn with multiple other items in your bag. Stick to the basics. You can change up outfits with accessories that take up much less room, such as earrings and necklaces. Include a small bottle of laundry detergent, so you can take care of spills or spots in the sink, hang to dry and wear again. You could also ask if your hotel has laundry service.
2. Invest in travel sizes of each of your favorite toiletries, or buy small refillable bottles. Also, look for two-in-one products that can replace some of your traditional items such as shampoo and conditioner or moisturizer that doubles as body lotion. Pack larger bottles of anything the entire family can share, such as sunscreen and toothpaste.
3. Call ahead to your hotel and find out what they provide in each room as a courtesy. Many hotels provide soap, shampoo, conditioner, lotion, shower caps, hair dryers and even sometimes hair spray and toothpaste. The more items you can use from the hotel, the less you have to pack and the less it costs you to travel.
4. For families travelling with children, find a kid’s gear rental service in your destination city. These companies offer gear rental for a reasonable fee. You can rent cribs, car seats, bedding, strollers, high chairs, toys, bikes and just about any kind of gear you could need. The company will work with you to create a package of items that suits your family and have it delivered directly to your hotel. This can often be done for the same cost or less than it would be to check the items through the airline, and a lot less hassle. To find a gear rental company in your destination city, try searching Google, yelp.com or post on a local travel board for recommendations.
5. The key to packing light is editing. As a general rule you should lay out everything you think you might want to bring the trip, and then cut it in half. If you plan to shop at your destination, think about what you might buy and how you could use it on the trip. Also, leave space to bring those extra items home with you.
6. That’s not to say you have to omit every comfort item from your bag to travel light. They key is to recognize what is essential for your comfort and what is not. Can’t sleep without your special pillow? Bring it along, but leave your bathrobe, four sets of pajamas and slippers at home.
7. Most of all, pack the travel accessories you’ll need to arrive at your destination rested and relaxed. Not an easy task these days, but the Travel Accessories from Bucky, Inc will help you travel in pure style and comfort!
Travel can be very fun and exciting. Traveling for work can be difficult. But, traveling during the peak summer periods can be more difficult than at other times of the year.
Some people love to travel and find every aspect of the trip to be a wonderful experience. However, most of us look at travel as an adventure with possible pitfalls and we must guard ourselves to prevent negative outcomes. The stress of traveling can take a toll on our physical health and possibly on our emotional well being. For example, stress from travel can lead to: poor rest while sleeping, fatigue, and sometimes low back, neck or shoulder pain from tension in the muscles of the back. The emotional challenges may include loss of concentration, anxiety, anger/frustration, or even sadness/depression. These symptoms of travel related stress can be reduced by self-care.
Since we cannot avoid all travel and travel during peak summer periods can be most stressful, we need to learn what we can do to lessen the inevitable stress. Regular physical exercise such as walking, running, swimming, or bicycle riding can reduce some muscle tension and can help with relaxation. Careful adjustments to diet can help with stress management including eating less sugar or caffeinated products.
To make you more comfortable and to reduce stress during travel, you can consider the benefit of making your body more supported while you travel. Bucky’s Neck Pillow is perfect because it can support your head and neck while you travel. A lumbar support pillow can help to relax the muscles of your lower back while in the car, plane, or on the train while traveling. Bucky’s Lumbar Support Pillow is a quality product that is perfect for this function.
If you do not have to do the driving, Bucky’s Eye Mask can offer you relaxation that can help prevent headaches while resting your eyes and relaxing muscles of the face. The benefits of the Eye Mask increased dramatically if you can take some quiet time to relax or to meditate during your travels. This can make your travel experience much more productive and enjoyable.
Remember to allow a little extra time when you are traveling to sit back comfortably, take a deep slow breath, and enjoy the present moment. If you are more relaxed the experiences you have along the way will give the trip more flavor and perhaps help to teach memorable lessons along the way.
I’m Dr. John Mason, founder of the Stress Education Center and guest writer for the I love My Bucky Blog.